- it was on the island of Naxos (called Dia in ancient sources) that Theseus lost or abandoned Ariadne
- Dionysus found Ariadne on the island and married her
- Dionysus’ association with Naxos is very old
- and the island has a long history of wine-making
- archaeologists have found traces of religious activity at the site dating to 12th century B. C.
- surviving ruins are from 6th century B. C.
- style is Ionic
- temple was rebuilt by Romans in 1st century B. C.
- converted to Christian church in 5th century A. D.